HISTORY OF EGYPTIAN ARCHITECTURE
[note]: There are some opinions about the age and the division
- Proto Dynastic Period; c.6000 B.C.-c.3200 B.C. (Prehistory)
- Early Dynasty; c.3200 B.C.-c.2700 B.C. (Thinite Period)
- Old Kingdom; c.2700 B.C.-c.2200 B.C. (Menphis)
- First Intermediary Period; c.2200 B.C.-c.2100 B.C. (rivalry of powerful barons)
- Middle Kingdom; c.2100 B.C.-c.1750 B.C. (Thebe)
- Second Intermediary Period; c.1750 B.C.-c.1550 B.C. (Hyksos domination. Rebirth of Thebes and expulsion of Hyksos at XVII Dynasty)
- New Kingdom; c.1550 B.C.-c.1085 B.C. (Thebe)
- Third Intermediary Period; c.1085 B.C.-c.712 B.C.
- Late Period; c.712 B.C.-c.332 B.C. (Ethiopin kings at XXV Dynasty and Saitic Kingdom in Delta at XXVI Dynasty. Egypt becomes satrapy of Persian Empire and then begins last Dynasty)
- Greco-Roman Period Ptobuy; c.332-c.395 A.D. (Alexander the Great annexes Egypt to his empire. Founding of Alexandria in c.332 B.C.)
- Macedonian Dynasty; c.332 B.C.-c.304 B.C.
- Ptolemaic Dynasty; c.304 B.C.-c.30 B.C.
- under the rule of Roman and Byzantine; c.30 B.C.-639 B.C.
: Pyramids, Giza, Old Kingdom 4th Dynasty, 2545-2450 B.C. ; Giza, Egypt.
: Deir El-Bahari; Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut (18th Dinasty, B.C. 1490-1468) and Mentuhotep II,III (11th Dinasty, B.C.2061-1998), Thebes, Egypt
: The Temple of Amon-Ra at Karnak, 12th dynasty-Ptolemaic period, c.2000 B.C.-c.220 B.C. ; Karnak, Egypt.
: Temple of Amenhotep III, 18th Dynasty, c.1370 B.C. and Temple of Ramesses II, 19th Dynasty, c.1250 B.C.; Luxor, Egypt.
: Abu Simbel Great rok temples of RamessesII, XIXth Dynasty, c.1250 B.C. relocated at 1963-72. ; Abu Simbel, Egypt.
: Temple of Hathor, Late Ptolemaic-Roman period. Dendera, Egypt.
: Temples in Island of Philae (relocated to Island of Agilkia in 1972-1980), 13th Dynasty to Roman period, c.380 B.C.-2nd century. ; Agilkia, Egypt.
BACK TO HISTORY OF WESTERN ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HOME