HISTORY OF EGYPTIAN ARCHITECTURE
: Temple of Luxor (Temple of Amenhotep III, 18th Dynasty, c.1370 B.C. and Courtyard of Ramesses II, 19th Dynasty, c.1250 B.C.); Luxor, Egypt.
- The temple of Luxor is located at 3km south from Karnak where the temple of Amon-Ra.
The temple of Luxor was joined to that of Karnak by a long stone-paved dromos, a drome and a processional avenue, flanked by sphinxes with rams heads that the XXX Cynasty replaced with sphinxes with human heads.
The construction was basically commissioned by Amenhotep III who started it in the XIV century B.C. and Ramesses(Ramses) II who completed it adding the porticoed courtyard with its axis moved eastwards. The architect was probably Amenophis son of Hotep.
Temple of Luxor or Temple of Amon-Ra (Temple of Amenhotep III).
The first pylon seen from the dromos.
- The first pylon and the colossi of Ramesses II.
- The first pylon was erected by Ramesses II and 65m heigh.
In ancient times the pylon was preceded by two obelisks, two seated colossi and two pair of standing colossi. Today only the left obelisk is still standing. The other was taken to Paris in 1833 and placed in Place de la Concorde on the 25th October 1836.
The temple is the typical style of New Kingdom temples.
The entrance to the Temple of Luxor, with the courtyard of Nectanebo and the pylon of Ramesses II.
- The pylon, the obelisk and the first courtyard was constructed by Ramesses II.
- The obelisk is 25m heigh and the seated colossi of RamessesII on a base of about 1m is 15m heigh, both are made by pink granite.
One of the standing colossi is Queen Nefertari and made by pink granite.
Photo: Shoji Hiramatsu
BACK TO HISTORY OF EGYPTIAN ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HISTORY OF WESTERN ARCHITECTURE