HISTORY OF GOTHIC ARCHITECTURE
: Santa Croce, S. Croce, Firenze, Italy; 1294-1442; by Arnolfo di Cambio
- Church of Santa Croce; west facade.
- Santa Croce is the largest Franciscan church in Florence.
The church was constructed against Dominic church of S. Maria Novella.
The building is 138m long and 39m wide.
- The construction started in 1295 by architect Arnolfo di Cambio and completed in 1442.
- The church is simple basilica style with a nave and two isles.
The nave is 19m wide and wodden ceiling is the succession of early christian architecture.
Baisicly the building is modified-gothic style which has come from Cistercian church and has brung into Tuscany.
- The west facade decorated with colored marble was restored in 1857-63.
- The Pazzi Chapel, one of the great work of Filippo Brunelleschi, is in the precincts of Santa Croce.
- There are wall paintings by Giotto di Bondone and tombs of Michelangelo Buonarroti, Galileo Galilei and Dante Alighieri.
photo: Shoji Hiramatsu
BACK TO HISTORY OF GOTHIC ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HISTORY OF WESTERN ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HOME