HISTORY OF GOTHIC ARCHITECTURE
BASILIQUE, SAINT-DENIS No.2
: Basilique Saint-Denis; France, saint-denis; 1136?-44 (Choir)
- Nave (1231-81). (Photo by Yasuhiko Nishigaki)
- The ceiling height is about 24m.
- Abbot Suger (1081-1151) began to reconstruct the choir in 1137 and completed in 1144. He continued to reconstruct the nave but he died in 1151 before finished it.
The reconstruction started again in about 1231 and the nave including the transept and upper part of the choir were finished in about 1281 by probably Pierre de Montreuil (about 1200-67) and others (possibly one of those was Jean de Chelles; ?-1270).
- Nave. (Photo by Takahiro Taji)
- The choir was rebuilt by Abbot Suger in 1144.
Photo: Yasuhiko Nishigaki
BACK TO HISTORY OF GOTHIC ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HISTORY OF WESTERN ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HOME