HISTORY OF MANNERISM ARCHITECTURE
PALAZZO DEL TE No.1
: Palazzo del Te; Mantova, Italy; 1526-35; by Giulio Romano
- Giulio Romano (Giulio Pippi; 1492 or 1499 - 1546) was invited by Conzaga family in Mantua, where Giulio remained for the rest of his life, for the construction of a palazzo as Federico Gonzaga's lover's house.
Mantua was a producing district of fine horses. The antecidence of the palazzo del Te was a stable in Isla del Te in Mantua and later it was rebuilt as a villa.
Giulio left Rome to go to Mantua in 1524 and soon he started to design for remodeling the villa to a palazzo. The construction started in 1926, at that time "the Sacco di Rome" (the Sack of Rome) broke out.
- The east facade of east wing, seen from the east garden.
- Palazzo del Te has a square court and large garden on the east side.
The facade of east wing is different from others by adding a row of Paladian motifs columns to a wall.
The central part of the facade has three arched openings, a Loggia of David, and the wings whose Paladian motifs are gradually metamorphosing.
- The four facades outside have flat pilaster and rusticated wall and it looks like two storied building.
The facade is not symmetry and the spans of the columns are irregular.
Photo: Shoji Hiramatsu
|[No.1]Facade: East and North
||: [No.2]Facade: Courtyard side
|[No.3]Loggia of the David
||: [No.4]Loggia of the entrance
|[No.5]Facade of the courtyard side
||: [No.6]Detail of Facade
|[No.7]The Room of Horse, the Room of Psyche
||: [No.8]The room of Giants
BACK TO HISTORY OF MANNERISM ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HISTORY OF WESTERN ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HOME