HISTORY OF RENAISSANCE ARCHITECTURE
: Sant' Andrea; Italy, Mantova; 1472-1494; by Leon Battista Alberti
- Leon Battista Alberti(1404-72) turned his attention to the traditional Latin cross plan and applied a combination of a temple front and a triumphal arch to the facade.
- Alberti not only produced a new facad design but abandoned the nave-and-aisles type of basilica church which Brunelleschi had used, turning instead to a Latin cross form with a barrel-vaulted nave and a series of alternating chapels and supports on either side.
- Other works of Alberti are San Francesco in Rimini (Tempio Malatestiano)(1450-55), S. Maria Novella(1456-70; Firenze), Palazzo Rucellai(1446?-51; Firenze), San Sebastiano(1460; Mantua).
- His books are Della pittura; 1435, De re aedificatoria; 1452.
Photo: Shoji Hiramatsu
BACK TO HISTORY OF RENAISSANCE ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HISTORY OF WESTERN ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HOME