HISTORY OF RENAISSANCE ARCHITECTURE
St. MARIA DEL FIORE No.1
: St. Maria del Fiore, Italy, Firenze; Dome=1418-1436; Dome=by Filippo Brunelleschi
- The Middle Age had ended by this cupola and the Renaissance had begun from Ospdale degli Innocenti, both by Filippo Brunelleschi.
The cupola has double domes which show the double meanings of structure and expression since Renaissance.
- This had started to built, originally Gothic architecture, in 1296. The bell tower was built in 1334-87 by Giotto.
The octagonal dome was designed by Brunelleschi in 1418 and was built in 1420-36.
The diameter of inside of the dome is 43m, which is same as Pantheon, Roma.
Photo: Shoji Hiramatsu
BACK TO HISTORY OF RENAISSANCE ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HISTORY OF WESTERN ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HOME