HISTORY OF RENAISSANCE ARCHITECTURE
CAPPELLA DEI PAZZI No.1
: Cappella dei Pazzi, S. Croce, Firenze, Italy; 1430-61 by Filippo Brunelleschi
- The chapel of Pazzi; west facade.
- The chapel of Pazzi is in the precincts of Santa Croce.
- Filippo Burunelleschi probably begun to design in 1429-1930 after the completion of work on the Sacristy at San Lorenzo. The interior was completed in 1444 and the dome was vaulted in 1461.
- The structure was intended as a chapter house, with a chapel situated behind the altar where the family of the patron was permitted to bury their dead.
- The portico which precedes the chapel serves to "filter" the light coming in from the outside.
In this way the light admitted by the entrance wall merges with the light from the dome, the light from the heaven, creating a uniform illumination.
The portico was built after Brunelleschi's death corresponds to his design.
- Brunelleschi; by Giovanni Fanelli, Summerfield Press, Distributed by Philip Wilson Publishers; Copyright 1980 Scala Istituto Fotografico Editoriale, Firenze
[No.1]West facade :
Photo: Shoji Hiramatsu
BACK TO HISTORY OF RENAISSANCE ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HISTORY OF WESTERN ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HOME