HISTORY OF RENAISSANCE ARCHITECTURE
CAPPELLA DEI PAZZI No.2
: Cappella dei Pazzi, S. Croce, Firenze, Italy; 1430-61 by Filippo Brunelleschi
- the chapel of Pazzi; dome of the main room.
- Interior; the alter is on the right side.
- Brunelleschi further developed the solution used in the Old Sacristy at San Lorenzo and achieved a maximum unity of design.
The plan is essentially the same except that the square space of the main area is enlarged laterally so that it becomes a rectangle.
The dome is placed above the central square, while the two short lateral arms are barrel vaulted.
- The white plaster wall surfaces, contrasted with gray sandstone structures, are emphasized to the maximum so that the chapel seems to irradiate light from within.
- There are three axes in the chapel. One is the center axis from the entrance of the portico to the alter, one is the center axis of the rectangular room and another is the vertical axis of the dome.
[No.1]West facade :
Photo: Shoji Hiramatsu
BACK TO HISTORY OF RENAISSANCE ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HISTORY OF WESTERN ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HOME