HISTORY OF ROMANESQUE ARCHITECTURE
SAN FRANCESCO No.2
San Francesco, Assisi, Italy; 1228-53, 1232-36(upper church)
- Facade of San Francesco. Right, the entrance of upper church.
- San Francesco at Assisi consists of two superimposed churches, upper and lower church, and a crypt.
The above image is upper church which has basilica style simple plan, single nave, protruding transept and asingle apse.
The wall is striped horisontally with white and pink marble.
- Inside is filled with the wall paintings by Giotto di Bondone(1266?-1337), Giovanni Cimabue(1240?-1302?) and so on.
But a part of the ceilings and some of the wall paintings had fallen down because of the earthquake in September 1997.
- The entrance of the lower church view from lower level.
Photo: Shoji Hiramatsu
|[No.1]Hill of Assisi, Church
||: [No.2]Exterior: Facade
|[No.3]Lower Church, Courtyard
||: [No.4]Exterior: South facade
|[No.5]City of Assisi, Church
BACK TO HISTORY OF ROMANESQUE ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HISTORY OF WESTERN ARCHITECTURE
BACK TO HOME